Schedule a FREE lawyer consultation TODAY! (646) 808-3785.
We’ll win your injury case, or it’s free.
We have over 180 5-star reviews on Google
We’ve prepared over 1,000 cases for trial.

What You Need to Know About Mass Transit Accidents in New York City

Contact Us

What You Need to Know About Mass Transit Accidents in New York City

People across New York City rely on mass transit to get from place to place, whether to commute to work, school, or just for fun. Though mass transit is generally a safe and reliable means of transportation, the truth is, at times, it can become very dangerous, especially when operated by negligent persons. If you are someone who has been injured in a mass transit accident, you must continue reading and reach out to our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through the claims process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if I am injured in a mass transit accident?

The first thing you should do after being injured in a mass transit accident is to notify the conductor or driver of the bus/train/subway you were injured in. From here, you should call the police, and ask anyone who witnessed the accident, or was a part of it, for their contact information. Next, you should take pictures of the scene of the accident, and ensure you receive medical attention once an ambulance arrives. After being treated at the hospital, ensure you ask your doctor for medical documentation detailing the origin and extent of your injuries, and, finally, retain the services of a knowledgeable New York City personal injury attorney who can gather and present all evidence needed to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence.

How long do I have to sue for an injury sustained in a mass transit accident?

If you are injured in an accident in New York City, you will have to file your injury claim within the state’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York is, generally, three years, giving the wrongly injured three years to sue. That being said, when suing a municipality for an injury, you will have a far shorter window of time to file what is known as a Notice of Claim. Generally, you must file your Notice of Claim within 90 days of the incident. This Notice informs the municipality that you will be bringing legal action against it.

Contact Us For A Free Case Review


Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.


Top Ten Award 2019


Whether you need a Bronx car accident lawyer, birth injury lawyer, construction accident lawyer or legal representation for any type of accident, the NYC personal injury lawyers at The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny can help. Located in New York City, we've helped hundreds of individuals throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn (Kings County), Manhattan, Queens and Nassau County recover the compensation they need to receive proper medical care, treatment and quality of life after serious injury.


If you've been injured due to the negligence or wrong-doing of another, we can provide you and your loved ones with the legal support needed to ensure proper medical attention, long-term treatment and fair, reasonable financial compensation is received for your injury. The initial consultation is always free. For immediate assistance, call (646)-808-3785.


34 St. - Herald Sq (0.13 mi)
St. - Penn Station (0.17 mi)
34 St. - Penn Station (0.35 mi)