Personal Injury Lawyer in Manhattan
An accidental injury is one of the worst setbacks a person can face, especially when it is the result of another party’s negligence. Sadly, these traumatic events happen every single day, especially in a densely populated city like New York, where more than eight million people live and work in close proximity.
A single act of carelessness can turn your entire life upside down, leaving you to deal with mounting medical bills and other unforeseen expenses, possibly when your injuries prevent you from going to work. Seemingly overnight, you may find yourself on the brink of ruin.
Fortunately, if someone else was responsible for your injuries, The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny is here to get you back on the path to physical and economic recovery. For more than three decades, our firm has been helping those who have been injured in a wide array of accidents, and we are ready to do the same for you.
Whether you live in Manhattan or any other borough in New York City, our personal injury attorneys can get you the compensation you deserve. If you have been injured through no fault of your own, we will be by your side every step of the way.
Call (212) 421-0300 or fill out the case evaluation form below to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable Manhattan personal injury lawyer today.
Do You Have a Valid Personal Injury Case?
Any valid personal injury case has two core components: negligence and damages.
“Negligence” occurs when people fail to meet their duty to exercise reasonable care to avoid harming others. If someone’s negligence results in injury, or “damages,” to somebody else, the injured party may have grounds for compensation.
How much compensation that party receives can depend on a variety of factors, but in order to qualify for anything at all, a plaintiff must show that:
- A duty of care existed;
- That duty was breached; and
- That breach caused injury.
Proving that a breach of duty occurred can be more difficult in some personal injury cases than in others. For this reason, it can be useful to speak with a capable Manhattan personal injury attorney to learn whether you have a solid basis for a legal claim if you have been hurt by someone else.
Common Types of Manhattan Personal Injury Cases
The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny has successfully represented clients who have been injured in virtually every circumstance in New York. Each case is different, but our Manhattan personal injury lawyers have probably dealt with one like yours before. Some of the most common types of personal injury cases include:
- Premises Liability and Slip-and-Fall Accidents – Though we tend to imagine something happening on the road when we hear the word “accident,” the truth is that many accidents occur on foot, especially in Manhattan, where fewer than half of the city’s residents see the need for a car. New York property owners have a duty to maintain their premises so as not to hurt lawful visitors, so if you have been injured on another person’s property in Manhattan, or even on poorly maintained municipal property, you may be eligible to seek compensation. Our firm can provide a comprehensive assessment of the legal remedies available when unsafe premises cause harm.
- Car Accidents – While a New Yorker may not need a car to get around, there are still approximately 223,500 motor vehicles in the city. With so many automobiles, it is no wonder that New York car accidents are commonplace. In fact, the NYPD reports that there were 8,668 known collisions citywide in May 2023 alone. Our Manhattan personal injury lawyers have helped individuals who have been hurt by negligent drivers in nearly every kind of auto accident, including those involving cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, taxi cabs, or rideshare vehicles. If you have been rear-ended, T-boned, or run over in New York City, The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny will work to get you the best result possible.
- Construction Site Accidents – Manhattan is famous worldwide for its skyline, but those architectural marvels come at a steep cost. Construction sites are among the most dangerous places in New York City, and lax enforcement of building codes and safety regulations can result in serious harm to workers and innocent bystanders alike. According to the New York City Department of Buildings, there were 554 construction-related injuries and 12 deaths in the city in 2022, the highest number in three years. We have recovered millions of dollars for clients who were injured in falls, explosions, and other accidents at or near New York construction sites.
- Dog Bites and Animal Attacks – If you have been attacked by a dog or some other domestic animal, you may find it difficult to obtain adequate compensation because of the limitations placed on these types of cases under New York law. Our injury attorneys have the expertise necessary to build a viable claim against a negligent pet owner if the facts support it.
- Medical Malpractice – When patients suffer senseless surgical mistakes, preventable birth injuries, or dangerous drug errors, the health professionals responsible should not escape the consequences of their negligence. The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny is committed to protecting medical malpractice victims throughout the New York area.
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect – If you suspect a family member is being abused or neglected by a staff member or another resident at a nursing facility or rehabilitation center, our nursing home abuse attorneys will take action to keep your loved one safe.
- Product Liability – When a defective product inflicts serious injuries, we can help you hold the manufacturer, retailer, or distributor of that product accountable.
Regardless of how you were hurt, The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny can explain your legal rights, answer any questions you may have, and let you know what to expect if you choose to hire a Manhattan personal injury attorney.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
But why should you hire a personal injury attorney at all? Why not just represent yourself and negotiate directly with the defendant’s insurance company?
While you are certainly entitled to handle your own claim, there are a number of reasons you might benefit from the assistance of The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny.
In the immediate aftermath of a life-altering accident, it can be difficult to know what to do next, especially if you have never been in this situation before. To put together a compelling personal injury case, you must identify all of the parties who may be at fault and prove that their negligence directly caused you harm. And you will have to do this while the clock is ticking. Under New York law, you have a limited window of time in which to act in a personal injury case, known as the Statute of Limitations. Failure to file suit or otherwise resolve a claim before the Statute elapses could forever bar you from getting the compensation you need to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.
Moreover, while this may be your first personal injury case, it will not be the first one for the defendant’s insurance company. The insurance adjuster may have already worked on a number of claims similar to yours, and he or she may take advantage of your relative inexperience to settle your case for far less than it is worth.
But if this is not the first case for the insurance carrier, it is also not our first either. Our Manhattan personal injury attorneys have been representing clients who have been injured in practically every scenario imaginable for more than three decades.
We know how to build a rock-solid case against everyone responsible for your injuries within the time permitted by law. We also know the tactics insurance companies use to deny you a fair settlement and how to overcome them.
And unlike many of our competitors, who rarely, if ever, see the inside of a courtroom, we are not afraid to bring your case before a judge or jury if we do not receive a reasonable offer. We have fought for clients in hundreds of trials throughout Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.
If you are worried about additional expenses at a time when you may least be able to afford them, be aware that it will cost you nothing up front to retain our firm because we work on a contingency fee basis. Only when our Manhattan personal injury attorneys bring your case to a favorable resolution will we seek reimbursement for our out-of-pocket expenditures and a fee for our services, usually as a percentage of your verdict or settlement.
An unexpected injury can be overwhelming, with even the slightest wrong turn threatening to end your quest for justice before it has even begun. Let The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny focus on managing your case so you can focus on becoming well again.
Get Compensated for All of Your Losses
Our Manhattan personal injury lawyers will always work to get you compensated for all of your losses, including:
- Medical Expenses – The bills associated with hospitalization, surgery, prescription medications, therapy, assistive devices, and past, present, and future medical treatment could influence your verdict or settlement.
- Lost Wages – If your injuries prevented you from making a living, you could be reimbursed for the wages you lost. You might also seek remuneration if permanent impairment hinders your long-term earning potential.
- Pain and Suffering – Physical discomfort, emotional and psychological distress, and other non-economic diminishments of your quality of life may be taken into consideration.
- Loss of Consortium – The spouse of a personal injury victim may be able to make a claim for any deprivation of the benefits of an intimate marital relationship.
- Punitive Damages – New York courts sometimes permit additional financial penalties on defendants whose behavior displayed “willful or wanton negligence” or a “high degree of moral turpitude” in order to discourage comparable misconduct by others.
No two cases are exactly the same, but The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny will always strive to maximize the value of your personal injury claim.
Contact Us For A Free Case Review
CONTACT OUR MANHATTAN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
If you have been injured in Manhattan or anywhere else in New York State, you need an experienced team of attorneys to make the ones responsible pay for their negligent actions.
No case is too large, too complex, or too intimidating for our firm to take on. Our goal is to get you full compensation for your injuries, and we will not stop until we achieve it. Call The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny at (212) 421-0300 or fill out our free case evaluation form to learn how our Manhattan personal injury lawyers can guide you through the claims process ahead.