As spring rapidly approaches, more and more motorcyclists begin taking to the road every chance they get. Motorcycles are affordable, stylish, and overall fun to ride, however, because motorcyclists are so exposed to the elements, they can also become very dangerous. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about what to do after a motorcycle accident and how we can help you through the claims process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after a motorcycle accident?
After a motorcycle accident, though you may be severely injured, it is generally best to take several steps to maximize your chances of winning a personal injury claim, as long as you are physically capable. Those steps are as follows:
- Call the police. Your health is paramount, and they will send an ambulance to take you to a hospital for treatment.
- While awaiting the ambulance’s arrival, ask the other motorist for his/her insurance information.
- Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle and the other motorist’s vehicle.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their contact information, such as their email or phone number so they may corroborate your claim at a later date.
- Once you are treated in the hospital, ensure you ask your doctor for all medical documentation pertaining to the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable New York City personal injury attorney who can gather and present evidence on your behalf to satisfy the burden of proof.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York State?
Oftentimes, after an accident, people wait to file a lawsuit to see if their injuries heal on their own. In many cases, however, we cannot recommend you do this, for there is a statute of limitations in place that dictates the length of time you have to file a lawsuit. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York is three years, you will, generally, have three years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the party responsible. If you wait any longer than three years, you will be barred from suing. Do not let this happen. We can begin the claims process as soon as possible on your behalf.
Contact Us For A Free Case Review
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.