Stairway accidents, often overlooked, are surprisingly frequent in bustling urban environments like New York City. A simple misstep or a relatively “small” unsafe condition can lead to severe consequences. Navigating stairways, especially in older buildings or crowded public spaces, poses various risks. Injuries range from minor bruises to life-altering conditions. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated NYC personal injury lawyer from The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny to learn more about the most common injuries sustained in stairway accidents and how our firm can help if you’ve been hurt. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What Are the Most Common Hazards on Stairways?
Identifying hazards is key to preventing stairway accidents. The ten most common hazards include:
- Worn or Uneven Steps: These can cause missteps or trips.
- Poor Lighting: Inadequate lighting increases the risk of accidents.
- Loose or Absent Handrails: Handrails are crucial for stability.
- Slippery Surfaces: Wet or polished stairs can be treacherous.
- Obstructions: Items left on stairs pose a tripping hazard.
- Narrow Stairs: These leave little room for error.
- Steep Staircases: Steeper stairs increase the risk of a fall.
- Missing or Broken Steps: These can cause a person to lose their footing.
- Cluttered Staircases: Stairs used for storage can be dangerous.
- Inconsistent Step Sizes: This can disrupt a person’s walking rhythm, leading to falls.
What Are the Most Common Injuries in Stairway Accidents?
Stairway accidents can result in a wide range of injuries. Some of the most common are as follows:
- Sprains and Strains: These often occur in the ankles or knees due to sudden twists.
- Fractures: Wrist and arm fractures are common when individuals attempt to break their fall.
- Head Injuries: These can vary from mild concussions to serious traumatic brain injuries.
- Back Injuries: Falling down stairs can cause severe back injuries, including herniated discs.
- Bruising and Contusions: These are usually the result of direct impacts.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Broken or sharp edges on stairs can cause these injuries.
- Rib and Torso Injuries: Falling onto hard stair surfaces can cause rib fractures and internal injuries.
- Facial Injuries: These include dental injuries, jaw fractures, and eye injuries.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These can have long-term consequences, including paralysis
How Can Victims Seek Legal Help After a Stairway Accident?
Victims of stairway accidents in New York City should strongly consider hiring a competent personal injury attorney. An attorney can work to help them gather evidence and present it effectively to prove they were injured due to dangerous stairway conditions. As long as you can prove you weree hurt due to no fault of your own, you should be entitled to financial compensation. For further questions, simply contact our firm today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 866-886-0892 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.