The Fourth of July is among the most popular boating days in New York, and for obvious reasons. That being said, below, our firm has created a short list of various boat safety tips to help ensure the holiday is fun and safe for all. Please continue reading to learn more about boat safety.
Tips for Boat Safety
Before you set out, you must take several steps to ensure your boat is in tip-top shape and is safe for you and all those around you. Those steps are as follows:
- Ensure the anchor is attached to the boat and has enough ground tackle
- Always keep working flares and life jackets on-board
- Always keep your registration decal up-to-date
- Never set out of you notice serious scrapes on the hull
- If the vessel is taking on water, ensure you have it repaired as soon as possible and do not take it out on the water.
- Ensure all through-hull connections are not leaking.
- Ensure the boat’s propeller is in working condition.
- Never leave without first ensuring the following are on-board: your boat’s Certificate of Number, the vessel registration, an accident report form, an operating manual for the radio and engine, the owner contact information, and your marine towing membership card.
What should I do if I am injured in a boating accident?
If you are injured in a boating accident, regardless of whether you were operating your boat and were injured due to another boater’s negligence, or if you were an injured passenger on a friend or relative’s boat, there is a very good chance that you will qualify for financial compensation. However, you will first have to hire an experienced New York City personal injury attorney who has what it takes to satisfy the burden of proof using critical evidence, such as medical documents, pictures or videos of the accident, witness statements, and more. Furthermore, you must ensure you reach out to our firm in a timely fashion, as the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York State is three years, which means you mustn’t wait any longer than three years to file your claim. If you do, you will most likely be barred from suing. We are ready to help you today.
Contact Us For A Free Case Review
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.