Truck accidents are usually the most damaging type of accident. If you have collided with a truck, you are most likely suffering from severe injuries. This is why you must get in touch with an experienced attorney who will fight for the compensation you deserve. Truck accidents are sometimes particularly difficult to recover compensation from, so it is important you ensure you do not get taken advantage of.
What are the different types of truck accidents?
- Because of the long hours and demanding work, certain truck drivers use drugs or alcohol to cope. If you were injured because a trucker was under the influence, you are most likely entitled to financial compensation.
- Rollover crashes are usually the result of excessive speed when turning. Additionally, if the truck’s cargo was not properly secured before departure, the truck may also roll over then.
- Head-on collisions generally happen when a vehicle is driving in the wrong lane. These accidents are very often fatal due to the extremely heavy impact.
- Jackknife accidents occur when the truck trailer swings independently of the cab while both sections of the tractor-trailer move in different directions.
- Underride accidents occur when a smaller vehicle hits the back of a truck that is the same heights as the top of the vehicle. The vehicle will then slide under the truck, usually resulting in a fatal injury.
How do I recover compensation?
There are several things you may wish to do to help ensure you win compensation. It is always helpful to have a GoPro or mountable, hands-free and legal dashcam in the car. Doing so ensures you catch the incident on camera, which is one of the best ways to prove your claim. You should also ask any witnesses for their contact information, as they may be willing to verify your claim if need be. Additionally, you should seek medical attention immediately. You will most likely need it, and your physician may provide you with the documentation you need to help win your case. There is a good chance the truck and insurance companies will do anything in their power to deny you of your compensation. This is why you must hire an experienced attorney. Commercial trucks usually have an Event Data Recorder, which records the truck’s speed in the time leading up to your accident. However, truck companies will often delete this information if possible. You may prevent this from happening if you hire an attorney who will write them a spoliation letter, demanding they preserve the information. If they delete this information after receiving your attorney’s letter, you may use that against them in court.
Contact Us For A Free Case Review
Contact our New York firm
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. Call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer.