Unsafe Sidewalk Injury Lawyer in NYC
When a person trips and falls on a sidewalk, some property owners will seek to place the blame on the city or on the injured person for not watching his or her step. In New York City, however, the law may hold a different opinion concerning who was negligent.
At The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny in Manhattan, our lawyers represent people who are injured due to unsafe property conditions, including defective sidewalks. Under the New York City administrative code §7-210, property owners are responsible for maintaining any sidewalk abutting their property. In some cases, the city may be responsible, in which case our attorneys must file a notice of claim with the city within 90 days of your accident. The sooner you contact our lawyers for help, the sooner we can determine who is liable and file an appropriate claim.
What Is An Unsafe Sidewalk Condition?
A number of sidewalk conditions may be considered unsafe. Here are a few examples:
- One or more missing sidewalk slabs
- Cracked or broken sidewalks
- A loose slab that rocks or seesaws
- A height difference between sidewalk slabs of one-half inch or more
- A sidewalk slab that retains water due to an improper slope
- Hardware that is not flush within a half inch of the sidewalk surface
- Improper sidewalk repairs, such as using asphalt or other unapproved non-concrete materials
- Failure to clear ice and snow from sidewalks
If you or someone you love was injured due to an unsafe sidewalk, it’s important to take pictures of the defective condition. Many property owners are quick to make repairs following an accident. It is also important to seek prompt medical attention.
Contact Us For A Free Case Review
Schedule A Free Initial Consultation
To discuss your sidewalk accident with an attorney at our firm, call (646) 808-3785 or complete our contact form.