This Labor Day, many individuals who have had too much to drink will take to the roads. This is a sad, though nearly inevitable statement. That being said, if you are someone who is injured by a drunk driver, you need aggressive representation on your side. Please read on and reach out to our experienced New York City personal injury attorney to learn more about drunk driving car accidents in NY:
What should I do if I am injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver in NY?
If you are someone who has been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver in New York State, as long as you are physically capable, you should take several steps to maximize your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. Those steps are as follows:
- Call the police, as they will test the driver to confirm that he or she was, in fact, operating his or her vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. This is a critical aspect of winning your claim.
- From here, you should ask any witnesses for their names and phone numbers.
- You should then take pictures of any damage to your car, the other motorist’s car, any property involved in the accident, and your injuries.
- You should then seek immediate medical treatment once the ambulance arrives.
- Finally, you must retain the services of an experienced NYC personal injury attorney.
What is the dram shop law in NY?
Most states in the U.S. have dram shop laws in place. Essentially, a dram shop law is so that those who have been injured due to the negligence of someone who is under the influence may also sue the establishment that served that negligent individual alcohol in a third-party lawsuit. In New York State, the dram shop law states that all vendors of alcohol, whether it be bars, restaurants, or otherwise, are prohibited from serving individuals who are either under the age of 21, habitual drunkards, or are visibly intoxicated. This means that if a bar serves a minor alcohol, and that minor gets behind the wheel of his or her car and injures you because of his or her intoxication, there is a very good chance you may sue the driver, as well as the establishment responsible for serving that driver alcohol. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our seasoned New York City personal injury attorney today.
Contact Us For A Free Case Review
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 866-749-7815 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.