Recently, data released by Transportation Alternatives and Families for Safe Streets pointed to some disturbing facts regarding fatalities and traffic fatalities in New York City. Since the inception of Vision Zero in 2014, an initiative made to reduce traffic-related fatalities to zero in New York City, we’ve seen a relatively steady decline in these fatalities.
Unfortunately, however, it was recently reported that in the first nine months of 2022, New York City has seen 188 fatalities due to traffic violence, which is up roughly 27% from the first nine months of 2018, which was the safest year under the Vision Zero initiative. The first nine months of 2022 also marked the deadliest year for children under the Vision Zero initiative, with 16 children tragically losing their lives in traffic fatalities.
]These statistics are harrowing and illustrate that not only do our leaders need to do a better job of implementing proven-to-work strategies to keep us safe, but also members of our community need to take a breather, pay attention to the roads, and do what they can to put an end to this needless string of tragedies.
In the wake of this news, it is important both for motorists to obey the rules and regulations of the road and for pedestrians to have a plan in place, should they ever sustain an injury due to a negligent motorist or witness another sustaining such an injury.
By taking the following steps after an accident, you drastically increase your chances of getting immediate medical treatment and documenting exactly how the accident occurred.
- Call 911. This is the most important thing you can do. Whether you’re the injured party or a bystander, once a pedestrian accident occurs, it is paramount that you call the police to the scene of the accident. They can provide critical, sometimes even life-saving care on the scene of the accident. From there, they will transport the accident victim to a hospital for further treatment.
- Gather witness contact information.
- Take pictures of the accident or request surveillance footage of the accident as it happened.
- If you were the one injured, ensure you keep copies of all medical bills and documentation pertaining to your accident.
- If the accident wasn’t your fault and you need help paying for the damages you’ve incurred as a result of the accident, consider speaking with a personal injury lawyer who can help determine whether you have a valid claim and fight for the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.