There are few things worse than sustaining an injury due to another party’s negligence, and if this has happened to you, you are most likely looking to file a personal injury claim. Read on and reach out to our Queens personal injury lawyer to learn more about the dos and don’ts of personal injury claims. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do when filing a personal injury claim?
As you may know, there are various actions you should take to maximize your chances of winning a personal injury claim. Those actions are as follows:
- Call the police to the scene of the accident. They will also send additional emergency services and write up a police report of your accident.
- Seek immediate medical treatment after your accident.
- Ask your doctor for a copy of all medical documentation/bills associated with your injuries.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and the unsafe conditions that caused your accident.
- Ask any witnesses at the scene of the accident for their name, phone number, and email address.
- Hire a knowledgeable New York City personal injury lawyer who can work to satisfy the burden of proof in your personal injury claim.
What should I not do when filing a personal injury claim?
That being said, there are various actions you should avoid taking when filing a personal injury claim, as they can hurt your chances of winning one. Here is what not to do when filing a personal injury claim in Queens:
- Wait too long to sue. Generally, it is best to file your personal injury claim sooner, rather than later. However, you should note that the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York State is, generally, three years, and if you were injured on property owned by a municipality, the statute of limitations is far shorter. Our firm is ready to help you today. Do not delay.
- Use social media. After an accident and throughout the claims process, it is always best to avoid social media altogether, if possible, as in many cases, insurance companies will monitor your accounts to see if you post anything that even remotely contradicts your claim. If you do, they will most likely use it against you to “prove” that you are not really injured.
- Go it alone. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is your best option. Do not make the mistake of trying to file your claim on your own.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.