There are few things worse than being involved in an auto accident, especially when the accident was caused by the negligence of another. Unfortunately, right around Labor Day weekend, many people make the poor decision to drive while drunk, injuring others as a result. If you are someone who was recently injured by a drunk driver here in New York City and you need a Bronx car accident attorney who can help you fight for the full and fair compensation to which you’re entitled, our firm is here to help. Here are some of the questions you may have about drunk driving accidents:
What makes drunk driving accidents different?
Drunk driving accidents are different from other accidents in that although there is a civil element involved when someone is injured, there is also a criminal element involved, as it is, rather obviously, unlawful to drive while intoxicated. Because of this, if you were hurt by a drunk driver, you’ll need to hire an attorney who understands how to navigate these complex cases.
What should I do after being hurt in an accident caused by a drunk driver?
If you were injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver and are looking to pursue compensation, there are several steps you should take to maximize your chances of receiving it. These steps are as follows:
- Call the police to the scene of the accident. If they suspect the individual was drinking, they’ll likely require him or her to submit to chemical testing. If the person proves to be above the legal limit, we can use this as evidence in your personal injury claim. Additionally, calling the police will ensure medical services are sent to the scene so you can get treated.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Take pictures of the damage caused by your accident.
- Keep copies of medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Hire a seasoned personal injury lawyer who can help you gather and present all evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof in your injury claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.