There is nothing worse than being involved in a serious auto accident, especially when the accident is caused by somebody else. In this day and age, everyone knows it’s unacceptable to drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but unfortunately, there is no shortage of people in New York City who are willing to do so. If you were injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, we’re on your side. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Manhattan car accident attorney to learn more about drunk driving accidents in NYC, the dram shop law in New York State, and how our legal team can help you fight for the compensation you deserve and need to get back on your feet again. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What is the dram shop law in New York State?
A dram shop law essentially gives an injured person the right to hold the driver that caused their accident, as well as the establishment that served the driver, accountable for their injuries. Here in New York, if you can prove that an establishment, such as a bar, served a person who was either under the age of 21 or “visibly intoxicated,” and that person then caused your accident and injured you as a result, there’s a strong chance you can sue both the establishment and the driver for your injuries. Our legal team can help guide you through each phase of the legal process ahead.
What steps should I take after being involved in an accident with a drunk driver?
If you’re hit by a drunk driver, you should do everything in your power to document the incident. This can include taking the following actions:
- Calling the police. The police will typically ask a suspected drunk driver to take a breath test. If they blow above a .08%, we can use these results to help prove your personal injury claim at a later date.
- Get the driver’s insurance information.
- Take pictures of the damage caused by the accident.
- Gather witness contact information.
- Seek medical treatment and keep a copy of all documentation regarding your injuries.
- Hire an experienced New York City personal injury attorney who can work to uncover all additional information needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf.
Our firm is here to help you. If you’ve been hurt at the hands of a drunk driver, simply pick up the phone and give us a call today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.