Personal injury accidents often result not only in physical injuries, but emotional and financial burdens as well. Individuals facing these situations usually wish to pursue legal action as justice and to receive compensation as coverage for these damages. During this time, it is important for the victim of a personal injury accident to retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney. While meeting with an attorney can seem daunting, it is important to be prepared so that you know what to expect.
What Should I Bring to the Meeting?
Part of preparing for the first meeting with a personal injury attorney requires you to gather any necessary documentation that provides information regarding your case. This allows the attorney to better understand the accident you were involved in and the injuries you sustained. Important documentation can include the following:
- A written description of how the accident and your injuries happened.
- A copy of the police report from the accident. This provides another perspective as well as any information on whether any parties were ticketed or arrested at the scene.
- The names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Your medical records to prove your injuries.
- Receipts of any expenses related to the injuries (medical treatment, in-home care, etc.)
- Photos or videos of the accident and your injuries
- Your insurance information (health, automobile, renter, homeowner policies).
- If there was any contact with the other party or their insurance (letters, emails, phone calls, etc.)
- Any questions you have for the attorney about your case
What Questions Will I Be Asked?
Documentation is important to provide an outline of the case that is being presented. However, there is more that occurs during the meeting. This can include a variety of questions the attorney may ask to learn more about the situation. This can include:
- What injuries do you have? How are you feeling/how much pain you have?
- Have you seen a doctor? What was the prognosis?
- Did you talk to any other lawyers or insurance representative about the incident?
- What medical and automobile insurance coverage do you have?
- Did you give a statement about the accident to your insurance company?
- Where are you employed/what do you do? How long have you worked there?
- Have you ever been in an accident before?
Contact our Firm
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.