If you live in New York City, you are most likely in an apartment. Apartments are a great way to get the best of both worlds in terms of functionality and location. Generally, people thoroughly enjoy their experience as a tenant in New York City. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Sometimes, people are injured due to a negligent property owner or landlord. Generally, when this happens, those individuals will seek financial compensation to help cover the cost of their medical bills, in-home care, lost wages, and more. If you believe you have been wrongly injured, here are some of the questions you may have:
What are some of the most common causes of apartment accidents?
Faulty shower doors: Sometimes, a faulty shower door can slice or bruise your extremities. Additionally, faulty shower doors are known to cause slip-and-fall accidents as well, so if you were injured due to a faulty shower door, you may hold your landlord liable, in certain cases.
- Damaged flooring: Loose floorboards and protruding nails pose a safety hazard to small children, as well as adults.
- Loose balconies: If your balcony collapsed, you are most likely severely injured.
- Apartment pool: If someone you know was injured or drowned in an apartment pool, the landlord may be held accountable if he or she did not follow the necessary safety precautions.
- Inadequate lighting: Oftentimes, insufficient lighting may cause tenants to not see potential safety hazards in front of them, resulting in nasty slip-and-fall accidents.
- Dangerous staircases: Sometimes, handrails will break loose from their fittings, causing tenants to fall and break various bones. Additionally, when it snows, your landlord is generally responsible for ensuring the snow and ice are removed from the steps within the legally acceptable period of time.
How can I recover compensation following an apartment accident in New York?
To recover financial compensation after being involved in an apartment accident, you must first prove that the injuries you have sustained were due to another party’s negligence. However, this is not always easy, which is why it is in your best interest to hire an experienced personal injury attorney to stand by your side. One of our attorneys will determine the party liable for your injuries and help you collect the necessary evidence to prove your personal injury claim. You and your attorney may recover security camera footage, pictures of the safety hazard that caused your injury, witness statements, police reports, medical documents detailing the extent of your injuries, and more. Do not let the insurance companies take advantage of your situation. Reach out to one of our attorneys today.
Contact our experienced New York Firm
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. Call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer.