Unfortunately, the new coronavirus, or COVID-19, has largely dominated the news cycle, especially as more and more people are being personally affected by the virus. Though this is disconcerting to many, it is not time to panic. Instead, you should remain calm and do everything in your power to stay safe. Please read through the following preventative measures to learn more about the new coronavirus and what you can do to keep yourself healthy.
- Wash your hands regularly. Though this may seem obvious, this is perhaps the most important thing you can do. Ensure you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds using warm water and soap. If you do not have soap, hand sanitizer is also an effective means of killing the virus.
- Practice social distancing. This is a critical part of preventing the virus from spreading. Many people are going into voluntary quarantines to limit their exposure to the virus, as well as to ensure they do not spread the virus to others if they have it. Social distancing involves staying at least 3 feet away from everyone.
- Cough into your elbow, and if you have to sneeze, ensure you move as far away from others as you can. Coughing and sneezing, rather obviously, is one of the primary ways viruses and other germs spread from person to person.
- Try not to touch your face. If you have the virus on your hands and touch your mouth, eyes, or nose, the virus can enter your body and make you sick.
- If you’re feeling symptoms of the new coronavirus, such as coughing, a fever, or having difficulty breathing, call your local health authority and get the latest up-to-date information about potential testing and the next step forward.