May is National Bike Month, and because of this, our Manhattan personal injury lawyer has compiled a short list of bicycle safety tips for all those who ride to help ensure their safety. Please continue reading to learn more about how you can stay safe while cycling around the city.
- Always wear a helmet. Cyclists should understand that it is always in their best interests to wear helmets that are in compliance with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards. Though you may not prefer to use a helmet, you should understand that wearing one is your best defense against an accident. It may save your life.
- Perform a quick bike inspection before you set out. A short bike inspection of 5 minutes or less can go a long way. For example, before leaving, ensure that you check your tires for air and check that your chain and brakes are fully functional.
- Ride with traffic. Riding your bicycle in the opposite direction of traffic can increase the risk of an accident occurring. Further, you should always bike on the shoulder of the road if possible, and do so in a straight, predictable line. This decreases the chances of a motorist accidentally colliding with you. Ensure you also always use hand signals to inform other motorists that you are about to make a turn.
- Always follow the rules and regulations of the road. While yes, you are not driving a motor vehicle, you should understand that all those who use Manhattan’s roads are responsible for obeying the rules of the road. Never bike while under the influence of alcohol, always obey traffic lights, stop at stop signs, and more.
- Make yourself visible. Wear bright clothes so all other motorists can clearly see you. This is especially true if you’re cycling at night. Further, having lights or reflectors on your bicycle can also go a long way to ensure that other motorists know you are there.
Despite taking all of the necessary safety measures, unfortunately, cyclists can still fall victim to bicycle accidents when other motorists fail to obey the rules and regulations of the road. Our firm urges all those who drive to watch the following video to test their awareness of their surroundings.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident due to no fault of your own, you should strongly consider speaking with a knowledgeable Manhattan personal injury lawyer who can work to recover the financial compensation you deserve and need to heal. Our firm is on your side–all you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK CITY FIRM
Our entire legal team is dedicated to providing the advice you need and the personalized attention you deserve. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, call 212-421-0300 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with a New York City personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, which can help you on your road to recovery.