Text the word SLIP to 36260 to get our mobile app.Schedule a free lawyer consultation today, call (646)-808-3785.

How Common Are Concussions in the United States?

>How Common Are Concussions in the United States?

A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) that temporarily affects cognitive function. Those who sustain multiple concussions can experience cumulative damage, though, which may have permanent consequences.

Concussions are usually the result of a blow to the head; however, they can also be caused by explosive blasts and the violent shaking of the upper body. Depending on the circumstances, a minor TBI may not actually cause loss of consciousness. Because the symptoms can be subtle, victims may not feel the need to seek medical care. For this reason, determining the prevalence of concussions in the United States is challenging.

Different organizations track different demographics to determine a particular population’s risk of concussion. For example, some colleges and universities track the TBI rates of student athletes. According to the Brain Trauma Research Center at the University of Pittsburgh, more than 300,000 sports-related concussions occur throughout the United States annually.

In a report published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), though, the self-reported rate of concussions among high school students was significantly higher. In the 2017 Youth Risk Behavior Survey, approximately 15 percent of respondents—or 2.5 million students—reported having at least one concussion during the prior 12 months. Additionally, 6 percent claimed they experienced two or more.

Although young athletes are especially vulnerable to TBIs, playing organized sports at the high school or college level is not the only way to sustain a concussion. Other common causes include motor-vehicle collisions, falls, and physical altercations. In other words, the 2.5 million incidents mentioned above represent a mere fraction of the total number of concussions sustained in the United States each year.

According to research compiled by PennyGeeks, sports and recreational activities are responsible for roughly 20 percent of all TBIs in this country. Most of the remaining 80 percent are caused by motor-vehicle collisions, falls, and physical altercations. The CDC estimates that sports and recreational activities alone cause up to 3.8 million concussions annually.

Call 212-421-0300 to Speak with a Brain Injury Attorney in New York City

If you or someone you love sustained a traumatic brain injury because of another party’s negligence or intentional misconduct, your family may be entitled to compensation for all resulting damages. Because the medical bills and other costs associated with a TBI can add up quickly, it’s important that you seek legal counsel right away.

To discuss your case with a personal injury attorney and determine the most strategic way to proceed, contact The Law Office of Richard M. Kenny. Since 1990, Richard Kenny has been helping accident victims pursue the compensation they need to make their lives whole again. He has extensive experience in brain injury cases and can make sure your claim accounts for all potentially recoverable losses.

Richard and his outstanding support staff have recovered several multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts. Call 212-421-0300 or use our Online Contact Form to set up a free case evaluation with a brain injury lawyer in New York City.

2019-04-08T15:17:59+00:00 April 8th, 2019|Blog|Comments Off on How Common Are Concussions in the United States?